Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Tavi Gevinson Proves that Petite Ladies Can Do Dramatic Silhouettes, Too

Tavi Gevinson Proves that Petite Ladies Can Do Dramatic Silhouettes, Too:

Photo: BFA
Photo: BFA
As someone who loves fashion and is only 5-foot-three, I find it disappointing that many of the silhouettes I see come down the runway each season most likely won't work for my body type. While I dream of wearing those crazy high-waisted Isabel Marant "mom" jeans or having a torso long (and lean) enough to pull off a crop top without cutting out carbs for the rest of my life, I sometimes start to think it's just a pipe dream. Then someone like Tavi Gevinson comes along to make me rethink my stance, and thanks to her look at Stella McCartney's resort presentation on Monday night, I'm reconsidering my own ability to wear a dramatic silhouette now and then.

The 19-year-old writer and actress chose a pair of high-waisted, cropped culottes for the designer's outdoor garden party, and despite her petite stature, she made the offbeat proportions work well. By baring a sliver of midriff and cinching just below the waist with a festive rope belt, the wide-legged bottoms don't overpower her — if anything, they add the illusion of height. While I'm not sure I'm quite ready to test out the culotte/crop top combo in one fell swoop, seeing how great (and comfortable) Tavi looked doing so has convinced me that I should at least give one of these statement-making silhouettes a shot this summer.

No comments: