Saturday, March 07, 2015

The Victoria's Secret Swim Special: Real Talk From the Angels on Life as a Swimsuit Model

The Victoria's Secret Swim Special: Real Talk From the Angels on Life as a ... - Glamour (blog):

Last night was Victoria's Secret first-ever televised swim special and, spoiler alert: Don't watch if you're not willing to deal with intense vacation fever. I wasn't sure what to expect since the brand's never done one before, and I'm officially giving it five stars. It was an interesting look at what goes into shooting the catalog, yeah, but also, the girls seem like a lot of fun and spilled some honest feelings about what it's like to live life as an Angel.



candice-swanepoel-victorias-secret-swim-shoot-2015


It's never easy to look at photos of yourself. "Sometimes it's amazing and sometimes it's a little scary, a little overwhelming," Behati Prinsloo said when asked how it felt to be one of the most photographed women in the world. "I'm very self-conscious," added Alessandra Ambrosio.

Being an Angel is a full-on job. As such, it's helpful to remember that these beauties count working out as a big part of their profession. Candice Swanepoel said it best—"It's a job for me"—and looks at her pics on set to constantly work on improving and getting better.

They have nicknames, fears, and hidden talents. I was surprised to hear Lily Aldridge call Alessandra "Ali" while they chatted, and earlier, Lily admitted she has a fear of heights. Behati, per Joan Smalls (and a clip of her dancing on the street in Puerto Rico), has some mean moves.

They eat! "Once you start working with Victoria's Secret, it becomes part of your lifestyle to stay fit," Candice explained. "People think we don't eat and we have to do crazy diets, but I eat really healthy. I have to eat a lot to be able to deal with the workload, the traveling."

Fanny packs are in. It was the tiniest moment, but I caught it and I loved it: When Martha Hunt arrived for a yoga session with some of the girls, she was wearing a neon fanny pack. I heart this.

They have sunscreen chains. Just like that, I was transported back to summer camp and beach days with my girlfriends. Do you remember lining up in a row and rubbing sunscreen on the back of the person in front of you? It's practical, time-efficient, and, yup, the Angels do it too.

There are a ton of girl crushes. The sweetest parts were the interviews, done in pairs, where it was really clear that these girls are good friends. Whether it was Adriana Lima and Candice having a "no, you're the sexy bombshell" back-and-forth or Candice's comment that she's loved Maroon 5 forever and "now I'm with my best friends watching a private show" (the band was there and played a few songs), it was cute. My favorite was Candice on Lily: "Her personality is so goofy and cute, so when I see her turn it on, I'm like 'yeah, you go!'"

Did any of you catch the special? I really enjoyed watching, so if you get the chance, do!



No comments: